From November 4, 2020 SketchUp will become subscription only.
Does subscription mean web/cloud? No! With a subscription, you still download the desktop app (same as with the Classic licences).
What is the last day I can purchase a Classic perpetual license of SketchUp?
November 4, 2020
What is the last day I can renew my Maintenance & Support plan for my existing classic perpetual license?
November 4, 2020. Customers whose M&S renewal date falls on or before November 4, 2020 are eligible to renew any time before that day.
Will my classic perpetual license stop working after November 4, 2020?
Your classic license will continue to work after this date. You will continue to own and have full usage of the license. Keep in mind that license plans expiring after November 4, 2020 cannot be renewed or extended but you can switch to a subscription at any time.
(We recommend saving the installer file for your version on media other than your computer).
Can I continue to use and renew my Maintenance & Support plan for my existing classic perpetual license?
Yes, you can renew your M & S support plan until November 4, 2020. as long as your M&S renewal date falls on or before that day.
You will have access to the M&S plan benefits, including Support, for the full duration of your M&S plan, even if those plans extend past Nov 4, 2020, but license plans expiring after Nov 4, 2020 cannot be renewed or extended.
How will I be able to purchase new SketchUp licenses after November 4th when perpetual licenses are no longer available?
The SketchUp you know and love will be available via subsription.
Is this a global change?
Yes, this change will be reflected across all the regions where SketchUp is sold.
Why did SketchUp decide to switch to subscriptions?
Committing 100% to the subscription business model represents an important shift in the way we do business. It allows us to continue supporting, improving and making SketchUp better - and release improvements more often. We've been offering subscriptions for over a year, and it has enabled us to release new features faster so the suite of SketchUp products improves its vitality every day.
SketchUp has always been generous with our products. We still are. With a subscription model, we can provide a lower upfront cost option which includes SketchUp Pro, one of the most affordable professional modelers on the market. We can also offer our core modeling features on the web for free.
What is a subscription?
SketchUp subscriptions contain the SketchUp products you know and love, and more. The features, products and services in your selected subscription are delivered to you via the cloud and can be accessed using log-in details that are unique to you.
Why should I switch to a subscription?
A switch to subscriptions offers much more of our product portfolio to you, and challenges our product teams to make SketchUp better - more quickly.
With a subscription, you'll:
- Always be up to date with the latest features;
- Receive more frequent updates and improvements;
- Get more value from all the features, products, and services in the subscription than from a Classic license;
- Quick and easy user and device management: No more keeping track of new serial numbers for each year, or trying to figure out which computer is using which license!
- Robust self-management: Being able to control your SketchUp sign-ins remotely means you no longer need to contact SketchUp Support for help clearing lost activations.
- Access to Pro Technical Support
- Auto-renew: Never have to worry about renewing or setting up reminders for when your subscription term ends.
- Access multiple subscription versions*: Install and use any two versions of SketchUp that supports a subscription license (*2019 and later) at the same time.
- Collaboration, data management & file storage: Included with your subscription is Trimble Connect's cloud collaboration platform with unlimited file storage
- View models on the go: SketchUp Viewer app on mobile with additional Augmented Reality capabilities
What subscription options are available to me?
SketchUp has two commercially available subscriptions for professional use. Learn more about their features and pricing on this page.
Does this change affect existing subscriptions?
No. Existing subscriptions are not affected by the change to Classic perpetual licenses.
What is SketchUp doing to help me transition?
- Promotional opportunities are available to eligible customers. See below...
- Advanced notice to allow you to prepare for the change, assess, and select a suitable option.
- The opportunity to purchase a Classic license and a Maintenance and Support plan until November 4, 2020.
- If you switch to a subscription, Access all products in your subscription via a single platform (Trimble Account) and using a single login. It also means that you'll have a single renewal date for all the products and features.
Are there any promotions available to help me transition from a Classic license to subscriptions?
Yes, promotions are available for customers with eligible Classic perpetual licenses. Contact our Sales team to find out more.
Can I upgrade my Maintenance & Support for an earlier version (e.g., SketchUp 2019, 2018) anytime before November 4, 2020?
Yes, you can. Please be aware that if your Maintenance & Support plan is more than 30-days expired, you will be subject to reinstatement fees. If your Maintenance & Support plan expired more than three years ago, it can no longer be renewed.
Can I upgrade my Maintenance & Support for an earlier version anytime after November 4, 2020?
No. After that date you will need to purchase one of our subscription options. SketchUp has three commercially available subscriptions for professional use. Learn more about their features and pricing on this page.
Maintenance & Support
What is a Classic Perpetual Maintenance and Support ("M&S") plan?
SketchUp's Maintenance & Support subscription gives you license upgrades for major SketchUp Pro releases when they become available, minor releases which include bug fixes, and access to our Pro technical support resources, all for a year. With the sunsetting of our M&S plans, all of these benefits will be available as part of our subscription offerings.
What happens if I currently have a Classic Perpetual Maintenance and Support plan?
You will continue to get the benefits of the M&S plan through November 3, 2021 or the expiration of your license (whichever comes first). Your license plan will not be eligible for any updates to products that are deployed after November 3, 2021. You also won't be able to access Pro Technical Support and cloud services.
If you purchase an M&S plan on Nov 4, 2020, you'll get all the benefits through Nov 3, 2021.
Have questions about your specific situation? Contact sales.
What happens when my Classic Perpetual Maintenance and Support expires?
You can continue to use your Classic perpetual license at the version you have. To receive subsequent product updates and bug fixes, and to access Pro Technical Support, you will need to sign up for a subscription.
Can I renew my Classic Perpetual Maintenance and Support early?
Yes, you can renew your M&S prior to its expiration through November 4, 2020. You are eligible for renewal if your M&S is due to expire within the next 6 months for customers in all countries except mainland china, as long as the transaction happens before November 4, 2020. Note that all M&S plans will not be supported beyond November 3, 2021.
Can I renew my Classic Perpetual Maintenance and Support prior to its expiry, if I bought via a local reseller?
Yes, you can renew your M&S prior to its expiration date any time before November 4, 2020. Have questions about your specific situation? Contact sales